ARTIEM Half Menorca is less than a week away, it´s time for the final sprint! After months of preparation, the start of the challenge is near. That´s why these days it's time to lower the intensity of training, rest and focus on planning the competition. Also, keep in mind that being informed about the course and its conditions is as important as having trained hard the previous months.
Information is power, as they say, so an important part of the preparation of a competition is to study it in depth and know in advance what you will face that day. With this in mind, use these calmer days to "study" this guide that includes everything you need to know about the ARTIEM Half Menorca 2018. Here are the answers to the most usual questions, pay attention!
What are the different modalities of the competition?
Athletes can complete a medium distance triathlon (HALF), with 1.9 kilometers of swimming, 90 kilometers by bike and 21 kilometers of running. However, a shorter test (SHORT) is also held, which consists on 1 kilometer swim, 34 kilometers of cycling and 8 kilometers running. As a final alternative, you could choose to face the competition in groups of 2 or 3 people in relays.
What is the program of the event?
The triathlon will take place on Sunday, September 23rd, although the events will begin on Saturday, the 22nd, at 10.00am in the Fornells sports center, with a symbolic run guided by a guest athlete.
From that hour until 6.30 pm on Saturday, participants will also be able to obtain their accreditation and, until 7:00 pm, they will have the opportunity to go through the information point to have any questions and doubts answered.
The program September 22nd, therefore, is the following:
- 10:00 - 11:00 - Run with guest triathlete - Fornells Sports Center
- 10:00 - 18:30 - Participants accreditation - Fornells Sports Center
- 10:00 - 19:00 - Expo + Info Point Fornells Sports Center
- 11:00 - 12:00 - Press conference - Fornells Sports Center
- 12:00 - 13:00 - Briefing - Fornells Sports Center
- 17:00 - 19:00 - Check In Boxes - Boxes Area
What´s the schedule for ARTIEM Half Menorca?
Take note! The agenda for September 23rd will be as follows:
- 6:00 - 7:00 - The bike park, in the pit area, will be open.
- 7:20 - 7:25 - Presentation of the professional athletes in the starting area.
- 7:30 - Start of the HALF test.
- 7:35 - Start of the relay tets.
- 8:00 - Start of the SHORT test.
- 14:00 - Award ceremony in the finish line area.
- 11:00 - 16:30 - Finisher Experience.
- 12:30 - 16:00 - Check out.
What is the limit of time for each modality?
The HALF and the relay tests must be completed in a maximum of 8 hours, while the short test´s limit is 4 hours.
What is the route of the test?
The test begins with the swim out from the bay of Fornells and, after completing a lap and returning to the starting point, the cycling part begins. This part starts in Fornells on route to Es Mercadal to then continue along the Camí d'en Kane and return to the starting point. The race by foot goes from Fornells to Ses Salines, doing a round trip, rising to the tower of Fornells on the way.
Which are the hardest parts of the ARTIEM Half Menorca?
Swimming in the open sea usually requires great effort, although the spectacular sunrise in compensates athletes for every difficulty they have to face. Some parts of the bicycle route, with a maximum difference of 9.6%, and the ascent of almost 50 meters to the tower of Fornells in the race by foot are usually the most complicated and demanding parts.
How are the relays organized?
The teams can be formed by 2 or 3 people and be either masculine, feminine or mixed. There will only be one bib, which will be worn by the one who faces the bicycle section and, later, it will be passed on to the runner. The swimmer, meanwhile, will wear a hat. Both the dorsal and the cap will be different colors compared to those worn by the participants in short and medium distances. The chip will also move from athlete to athlete. The mentioned changes will be made in the pit area. Also, all team members can accompany the person in charge of completing the running segment during the last 100 meters of the race. Crossing the finish line together is the perfect way to end and a dream come true!
What refreshments does the organization offer?
In the cycling circuit participants will find a supply stand in Es Mercadal with NutriSport water and isotonic drinks. Cyclists of the SHORT modality will only pass once around here, but the HALF triathletes will pass 3 times, one in each of the 3 laps.
In the running track, 2 double provision points will be installed (in two directions), so that the SHORT distance athletes will pass through 4 points, while the HALF ones will pass through 10. In this case, triathletes will find water, isotonic drinks, Coca-Cola, oranges, bananas and NutriSport gels.
At the end of the ARTIEM Half Menorca, participants will be able to enjoy, in the finish area, some of the island´s typical food, as well as nuts, fruits, water, sodas, isotonic drinks and even ice cream. A massage service will also be offered here. Excessive? Well, it´s the moment to recharge your energy!
What do I need to carry with me the day of the race?
The necessary (and mandatory) material to participate in the test is the following:
- My Laps yellow chip, which will gather the times of each athlete. It has to be worn on the ankle with a velcro. Not carrying the chip is a reason for disqualification, so if you do not have one, you can rent it for € 3.
- Swimming cap and homologated cycling helmet.
- Race bib and identification elements provided by the organization, which will not be distributed on the day of the race, but the day before.
The rest is up to you. What will you include in your backpack for the ARTIEM Half Menorca 2018?
What weather can we expect for that day?
Although weather is always unpredictable, the Mediterranean climate usually offers sunny and warm days at this time of year. However, for the practice of sports temperatures can be slightly elevated. Therefore, it´s important to check the weather forecast the previous days and be prepared for the heat. Here are some useful tips in these cases:
- Hydration is the golden rule. You should drink water and isotonic drinks before, during and after the race. The practice of exercise involves the loss of water, which intensifies when the weather is warmer. The replacement of liquids, therefore, is essential to avoid your breathing capacity to be limited. In triathlon, the standard tip is to drink every 20 minutes.
- Your equipment must based on and adapted to the weather. If it´s hot, breathable garments are essential to avoid absorbing sweat, protect against the sun and letting the body “breathe”. Also, wearing light colors, caps and even sunscreen creams is also very important.
- Your body talks to you. And you should listen to it. If, at some point in the race, you feel dizzy or with less energies, stop, look for a shadow and follow the aforementioned golden rule: hydration, hydration and more hydration.
- Resting is the key to good performance. Use these last days to rest and gather strength, especially on September 22nd. Flee from sun exposure, avoid any heavy foods and, again, drink a lot of water.
- Your skin and head should be refreshed. A good idea is to get both wet during the race to lower your body temperature. In fact, there are studies that ensure that performance improves when, for example, a soaked cap is used.
Following these little tips is the best way to truly enjoy the ARTIEM Half Menorca test, where sun will most likely shine for us, oferring us the fantastic opportunity to live an unforgettable triathlon.
Where to Stay?
The answer is easy: ARTIEM Audax. As lovers of sports and healthy living, we have prepared a unique pack for participants of the ARTIEM Half Menorca.
This pack includes three nights in a premium room with terrace, registration for the test, ARTIEM team triathlon trim, transfers to the event all weekend, briefing before the race, breakfast, recovery event at the end of the competition and welcome details. We have thought of you, of your passion. Because we want you to fulfill your dream, we try to make it as easy as possible for you.
Where can I follow the latest news of the race?
And now it´s time for the final question: are you ready? The race is only a few days away! It´s time to get excited and ready to enjoy the challenge!